Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Breakup Letter to the Clintons

I used to love the Clintons. I have for the past fifteen years.

I've been pretty negative about Senator Clinton at times over the last couple of months. I'm pretty sure I've said that I get sick when I watch her or that she's doing everything that the Republicans accused the Clintons of doing in the '90s. I've gone back and forth on this, knowing that if she somehow won the nomination (which isn't going to happen), I would still realistically support her over McCain.


I'm done. I'm finished with her. Unless she drastically changes her tune by firing and denouncing Geraldine Ferraro, I can't vote for her or support her; this year or ever again.


Ferraro on Feb. 28 to the Daily Breeze:

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she continued.
"And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He
happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the
concept." Ferraro does not buy the notion of Obama as the great reconciler.



Clinton regretted the statement, but had her campaign manager, Maggie Williams, attack Obama for (imagine this!) being upset over the comment.


Ferraro today on Fox News:

"Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and
says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're
accused of being racist, so you have to shut up," Ferraro said. "Racism works in
two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white.
How's that?"


Clinton has had nothing to say about this last statement as of 11PM. I don't know what else to say. It's race-baiting, it's despicable, it's inexcusable. I can never vote for someone who condones, even implicitly, these kinds of statements. Will she denounce Ferraro? Check out Howard Fineman's statements on this video from "Countdown" tonight.



I loved the Clintons in the '90s. Heck, I loved them through 2007. Thanks for making me feel like I've been naive for the last fifteen years. No more; we're through.


No comments: