Monday, January 21, 2008

We All Have Dreams

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • I thought I was a know-it-all. Daniel Baldwin always has something to say about everything on "Celebrity Rehab". He's going to drive me to start drinking.
    • I've been listening to the Duran Duran Greatest Hits CD a lot. Someday I'll make a definitive list of my favorite songs of all time and "Ordinary World" is going to be near the top.
    • Watching "The Corner". I really liked the book and the miniseries is good, but it doesn't quite have the brutal edge of "The Wire". The weird thing is that David Simon used a lot of the same actors in both projects. Imagine Lester, Carchetti's guy, or Cedric's ex-wife as junkies, or Sydnor out on the corner.
    • Steve, I haven't read Steppenwolf, but was the Magic Carpet Ride in it at least cool?
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • Still holding off on the book I'm reading until I'm finished.
    • I'm one song away from beating Guitar Hero III on Hard: "Raining Blood" by Slayer. There's a triplet thrash metal part that is flat-out impossible.
    • Today was Day One of twelve straight days of work. Things to keep me going: New "House" and "Lost" episodes next week.
  • Daily Rant:
    • At work, we get a choice between today and Presidents' Day and with a big event this weekend, I had to work today. Not having the day off, I've definitely slept on the real meaning of this holiday. For me, it's all about a celebration of equality and taking the opportunity to think about those for whom the fight for civil rights continues. We can think of Darfur or Iran but, as I've written before, I think of something closer to home. If I were an LGBT group, I'd run commercials tonight calling for equal rights and fair treatment. First of all, it would be interesting to see what controversy it stirred up, and if African-American advocacy groups got angry. Second, it would draw attention to this as a civil rights issue. It's still seen as too much of a fringe cause or non-issue. People need to be aware that there are some in America who do not have equal rights with everyone else. Who knows on what side Dr. King might come down in this fight? Today, is named for the man, but it's about the struggle.

No comments: