Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Super Rescue

Today was the big event and it went off better than expected. The funniest moment may have been when our much-beloved U.S. Senator started her speech to the volunteers by saying, "I'm here to work, not to talk." She then proceeded to speak for longer than anyone else had spoken all day. However, the best story was this:

There is a guy that we shall call "Softball Guy." He's famous for walking around and asking people to join a softball team. Every year, he talks to people for upwards of twenty minutes about this. I've had this discussion a number of times. Today, he walked past and started to speak. I said that I knew he was looking for softball players, but I wasn't going to be able to do it this summer. He started to talk some more and all of a sudden, my cell phone rang. My wife was calling me. It gave me the excuse I needed to walk away and dodge the annoying bullet. My explanation can't possibly do justice to what a lifesaver this phone call was. I really love my wife.

No comments: