Monday, May 26, 2008

Memories

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • Saw Beowulf last night. It's okay, maybe a little boring. I looked up the story of the poem and it was kind of cool that they added some humanity to the hero with a different take on the plot, while showing how the poem's plot was what it was. In that way, it's a cool take on a very old classic.
    • DC101 had the top 500 modern rock songs today and #1 was "Smells Like Teen Spirit", a total no-brainer. Any list like that that doesn't have that song #1 is a joke.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • The dregs of society work at JCPenney. What a miserable, miserable place. If you or family/friends work there, I apologize, but only if you make sure that you or family/friends are not, in fact, a dreg of society. But at least the stores are well-organized.
    • Wii Fit made me explain myself when I gained a pound the other day and it chastised my wife for missing a day. Wii Fit is kind of a bastard, if a lovable one.
    • A very sarcastic congratulations to the Colorado Rockies for showing us that in no way was last year a fluke.
  • Daily Rant:
    • The other day, an Israeli friend marvelled at our "celebration" of Memorial Day. In Israel, Yom Hazikuron (their day to remember soldiers) is a serious observance, a day of mourning. My friend couldn't comprehend how our Memorial Day means shopping and barbecues. Do we, America, truly remember the troops on Memorial Day? We all know the real answer to this.

No comments: