Sunday, May 4, 2008

At The Movies: A Blockbuster And 100% Awesomeness

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • Okay, three movies today.
    • Went to see Iron Man. It's fantastic. Robert Downey, Jr. makes the movie, but overall it boasts one of the best casts of any comic book movie with Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Terence Howard. It's funny with great special effects and it's exciting all the way through. You don't see many movies in a fairly full theater where a certain thing happens and just about everyone exclaims at the same time, "Oh, damn!" I'd put it at just a slight level below Spiderman, but not much.
    • I ended up waking up pretty early this morning and browsing through On Demand until I came upon The Number 23, a "thriller" starring Jim Carrey and Virginia Madsen. This movie is awful. I never gave a crap about any of the characters and I was firmly ensconced as far away from the edge of my seat as possible. It deals with the paranoia that some people have (apparently in real life, even) that the number 23 pops up everywhere. If you add the numerical value of letters, add up license plate numbers, etc. You know what? I've become obsessed with the number two. Not only do you get 23, you get 24, 27, 82, and so on. The number two shows up freaking everywhere! I just wrote about the number two in the last sentence! And in the last one, also. And what's a synonym for also? Too, which rhymes with two! It's blowing my goddam mind!
    • Finally, I used my Netflix Instant Viewing to see a movie I've been waiting to see since I first heard about it last year -- The King of Kong. It's a documentary dealing with competitive video gaming, specifically the battle for the world record in Donkey Kong. I might say, "X is awesome," but the word "awesome" was actually coined so this movie could be best described; true story! Believe it or not, there's a villain with minions who spread out to protect his record and an underdog good guy for whom you root as hard as you can. Even the music is awesome -- it uses both "Eye of the Tiger" and "You're The Best"! Plus, see if you can find the comparisons I easily made between Billy Mitchell and Hillary Clinton.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • I drank just a bit more tonight than I have in a long time. Being your own bartender at a party can be a curse.
  • Daily Rant:
    • Ask me how much I care about a bunch of horses turning left for 90 seconds. It's like NASCAR with cleaner air and mint juleps instead of Bud Light.

No comments: