Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Finally, An Idol Recap

While sipping (and working on acquiring the taste for) a very smooth Mackillop's 17-year single cask scotch, we finally caught up on both nights of "Idol" from this week. I say "we" because our guest co-judge tonight is my wife, Elisha. On to the comments.
  • Tuesday night was the guys. As Clarice Starling searches for Paula after the death threat on David Archuleta (check out the 3:55 mark here), here's what we thought:
    • Michael Johns:
      • Elisha: He's cute.
      • Josh: He was amateur and sweaty.
    • Jason Castro:
      • E: He has longer eyelashes than a camel.
      • J: He was pitchy as hell. I think he has extensions.
    • Luke Menard:
      • E: I want to like him, but all I can think of are those weird a capella group moves.
      • J: Elliott Yamin is the only guy who's done justice to Freddie Mercury.
    • Robbie Carrico:
      • E: His voice isn't as bad as I thought and I approve of the removal of the 'do-rag.
      • J: He's a douchebag and he's about as "rock" as Avril Lavigne is.
    • Danny "Sanjaya" Noriega:
      • E: He reminds me of Christian on "Project Runway", but he most definitely is not fierce!
      • J: I hate him, hate him, hate him.
    • David Hernandez:
      • E: I like his voice, but he had some weird facial stuff going on.
      • J: If you're using backup vocals, be on key with them, but this wasn't all that bad.
    • Jason Yeager:
      • E: He's wearing a half-heart locket! He just doesn't really stand out.
      • J: He SUCKS! Nice bangs, tool.
    • Chikezie:
      • E: I like him; he has natural stage presence.
      • J: I'm not fond of goofy smiles during blues songs, but I really like this guy.
    • David Cook:
      • E: I like him, but the instruments may be a distraction.
      • J: He's a little dorky to be a star, but he's a more authentic rocker.
    • David Archuleta:
      • E: Great voice, but I think he's too young.
      • J: The kid is a superstar. He took one of the greatest songs ever and made it fresh and different.
    • We both think that Luke Menard and Jason Yeager are going home.
  • Tonight brought the ladies and a very funny joke where Simon implied that Ryan is a cross-dresser.
    • Carly Smithson:
      • E: I like her, but I just wasn't excited by this one.
      • J: She looks like Steve Perry. I don't like her whole ringer thing.
    • Syesha Mercado:
      • E: I really like her; I think she has the whole package.
      • J: She had serious pitch issues down low, but she's going to go far.
    • Brooke White:
      • E: Good voice, but nothing special. She does really well with those types of songs, but I want to see her doing something different.
      • J: I'm in love. She has a sexy richness to her voice and the Carly Simon was a great song choice (also one of my all-time favorites).
    • Ramiele Malubay:
      • E: Eh, I remember liking her more than I did tonight.
      • J: She's standing too still. This is pretty average for someone with such a good voice.
    • Kristy Lee Cook:
      • E: I'm bored of having to comment on everyone.
      • J: She rubs me the wrong way, like she got on for her looks and no discernible talent.
    • Amanda Overmyer:
      • E: She looks so old; I just don't understand this.
      • J: (Laughing out loud) I hate her, I really think this is the worst non-audition performance ever.
    • Alaina Whitaker:
      • E: (Shaking head) I just don't like it.
      • J: She's got a good country vibe, but it's boring and a little pitchy.
    • Alexandrea Lushington:
      • E: Bad song choice and worse outfit. Hip-hop clothes just don't go with a ballad.
      • J: She doesn't have the voice to hang with the others. I've heard of people not being able to pull off Whitney Houston or Stevie Wonder, but Peter Cetera?
    • Kady Malloy:
      • E: I can't hear her voice and what I can hear doesn't sound good.
      • J: She's lost in the song, she has no edge -- she's awful!
    • Asia'h Epperson:
      • E: She's really struggling with her voice. It's not her best performance.
      • J: Pitch issues early like with Syesha. This is a really bad song choice; she's too spunky for a ballad like this.
    • We both agree that Amanda Overmyer and one of the blondes need to go. She has Kady Malloy, I have Alaina Whitaker.

No comments: