Friday, July 4, 2008

A Fourth Is A Fourth, Of Course, Of Course

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • "30 Days" this week dealt with someone who believes in strict gun control going to live with gun enthusiasts. I realized while watching it that one's belief on gun control is one of those things that never really changes. Sort of like with one's feelings on choice; once you have your stance, it's extremely unlikely that anything will change it. Personally, I disagree with the Supreme Court's ruling on Heller, but I guess that can't be too surprising to anyone who's ever read this blog.
    • I finished The Bonfire of the Vanities today. It's extraordinary -- Wolfe does a fantastic job of creating a number of well-rounded characters and setting them up as heroes and villains, then twisting everything 180 degrees so by the end you're rooting for the people you hated originally and vice versa. This book is strongly recommended.
    • Now it's on to Chuck Palahniuk's Rant. If you've never read Palahniuk, just know that Fight Club is one of the most tame of his books. He's like a no-limits Vonnegut.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • I opened up the Post this morning and saw a blurb at the bottom of A1 that made me tear through everything until I got to the Style section. Back in March, I wrote a line about arguably the greatest news story of all time, the saga of Buddy, Ollie, and Moe. Today, we find out that Moe has escaped and we get an update on the whole story.
    • I don't care if you like McCain, this is pretty funny.
    • "Twilight Zone" marathon again today on SciFi. Great chance to fill up the new DVR.
  • Daily Rant:
    • Happy Birthday, America. Here's hoping, regardless of what happens in November, that we're all a lot happier with you when #233 comes around.

No comments: