Sunday, July 20, 2008

A F***in' Shark Ate Me!

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • Watched The Bank Job on DVD this evening. It's very good; reminiscent of other good recent heist movies, such as Ocean's Eleven, The Italian Job, and Snatch. Here's the major thing: We love Jason Statham. Maybe I didn't care for what little I could stand to watch of The Transporter, but his work in Guy Ritchie's early movies, The Italian Job, and this one? He's to British heist movies what Jason Lee is to Kevin Smith ones. That might be a bit of an awkward analogy, but I think it works.
    • The other movie I watched today was Deep Blue Sea. It stinks. It doesn't even succeed in being as funny-bad as Anaconda or Lake Placid. The comic relief isn't comic and star Thomas Jane looks like he'd rather be anywhere else than filming this piece of garbage. The movie is only worth watching for exactly one scene, which is classic. And I'm linking to it right here, so you can save yourself the other hour and fifty minutes or so.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • Sing along! At the Maliki-liki-liki-liki-liki room/At the Maliki-liki-liki-liki-liki room/Where sixteen months can't come too soon/At the Maliki-liki-liki-liki-liki room!
    • Last night, when I published my list of banned words, I completely forgot "Netroots". Stop inventing dumb words!
    • We've now succeeded in using the ice cream maker, after having used the bread maker for the first time two weeks ago. My dream of making my own ice cream sandwich with ice cream and bread is nigh on fruition!
  • Daily Rant:
    • I really think that the way box office numbers are done at this point is ridiculous. I know they want to report gross receipts because it makes the industry look good, but it's a little disingenuous. If they're going to tell us that X movie had the biggest opening/day/holiday weekend of all time, shouldn't they use comparable figures? Adjust the receipts for mean or median ticket price. I think it would be a lot more exciting if we knew for sure that The Dark Knight beat E.T. or Home Alone on an even playing field.

No comments: