- What I'm Watching/Listening To/
- Watched In Bruges. All I have to say is: Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes. Great actors doing their thing. The movie is beautifully shot, but borders on over-directing at times with some unnecessarily artsy angles. Definitely catch this one on Netflix or cable.
- I finished Palahniuk's Rant (he's a weird dude, but his work is compelling) and I'm on to Krakauer's Into The Wild. I'm a big fan of long-form reporting in the novel format. Anyone who has read Capote's In Cold Blood has to be.
- Random Thoughts/Links:
- The baseball essay last night would not have been possible without the great site, retrosheet.org. Obviously, I was at the Orioles game in question, but Retrosheet's box score and play-by-play collection was a huge help in getting the details right.
- By the way, to the best of my research around the web, that Hoiles grand slam was the only one in recorded history that came with the team down three runs in the ninth with two outs and a full count.
- Check out this map of life expectancies by Congressional district. The #1 district in the nation is VA 8th, Jim Moran, taking up parts of Northern VA. #2 is MD 8th, Chris Van Hollen, taking up parts of Montgomery County, MD. I think that should make most of the people that read this (and write this) regularly fairly happy.
- Daily Rant:
- Redskins fans are so manic. I'm not saying the Jason Taylor trade wasn't a great move. It's just annoying how everything good is the best thing ever and everything bad is the worst thing ever. There is no in-between for fans of the burgundy and gold.