Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Idol Chatter

It's the top three. Yay! Get ready for some shrieking, some mugging for the camera, and some wussy music! This... is a dumb American Idol recap:
  • Danny Gokey, singing Terence Trent D'Arby's "Dance Little Sister": Yeah, I've totally lost it for him. Great story at the beginning, but he's pretty uneven. He hasn't improved up to this point like Lil Rounds has! True, that's because I don't have to hear her sing anymore, which is an improvement. This was alright.
  • Kris Allen, singing OneRepublic's "Apologize": A great wussy song for a great wussy singer! I'm so pumped for this that I can barely stop my thumb from spasming and hitting the fast-forward button. The problem with a contestant doing a song that is big on the pop charts right now is that it's really easy to compare to the original. Nine times out of ten that's going to be a loss for the contestant. This one wasn't the one flattering time. This may be the first time that I didn't think his voice sounded so good. How about Simon calling Kara out?
  • Adam Lambert, singing U2's "One": The chick on ew.com calls Adam "Glambert", which I love. So Simon gives Adam a slow, heartfelt song, something he hasn't necessarily sung along the way. This was maybe the most Broadway performance he's thrown out yet. He took a big glam crap all over this song. Horrible. But the judges loved it, of course! The most surprising turn of events since this news came out involving OJ Mayo. I'll agree with Kara, this performance was, indeed, unbelievable. I'm going to make a song my own, right now. I'm going to attempt to perform Beethoven's 5th using only armpit farts. It'll be brilliant!
  • The Gokester, singing Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful": I really felt his heart in this. I mean, I wouldn't really describe myself as beautiful, but if you see it in me, I appreciate it. This was a pretty nice performance from Gokey Smurf. He could be going home, but I feel like he's still got enough good will to sneak past Kris and into the big show next week.
  • Kris "Adult Contemporary" Allen, singing Kanye West's "Heartless": Dude, where did that come from?!? By far, hands down, my favorite performance of the year. He killed that song. Here it is, in crappy quality via YouTube (my first link to a performance this year). Maybe he has a shot. That was really, really good.
  • Glambert, singing Aerosmith's classic tune from their very, very early days, "Cryin'": I do not have high hopes for this. An overdone song being sung by a guy who overdoes even subtle songs. Maybe they'll meet in the middle? Nope. Also, the background singer sucked. So, instead of this crap, let's look at this article. Best... Headline... Ever...

I don't know. I think the Goker will be laughing his way into the finals with Adam, but Kris could get there with that great performance. I'm not going to hold my breath regarding Adam not being there. Still can't believe how good Kris' Kanye cover was.

No comments: