Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I'm Back, Like Jason Castro Will Be Next Week

Finally got the cable and internet hooked back up. I'll think of some other stuff to write about tomorrow, including some movies I watched, but I'm going to stick only with "Idol" for now, having caught up tonight. "American Idol", the week that was:
  • It was a little disconcerting that Kim Kardashian (who, by the way, is famous for having a big ass and a sex tape) was sitting right behind Simon on Tuesday night. They should try to keep that area pseudo-celebrity-free.
  • I don't really care if that kind of music isn't up Jason Castro's alley. He hasn't taken anything seriously all season, and this was just a more obvious symptom. I think he could have done better to sing some kind of adaptation of "I Don't Know How To Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar. It was a folk song that hit #1 on the pop charts for a little bit. I'm surprised nobody sang it.
  • I finally thought that Brooke was not so good. Color me shocked that she wasn't in the Bottom Two.
  • I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that David Cook's voice is a lot better than I have given him credit for. That showed big time on Tuesday.
  • Bonus points if you can tell me where Carly messed up the lyrics on Tuesday! She sang the line right on the results show.
  • Speaking of the results show, have they ever had to fill as much time as they did tonight? I thought they were going to end up with 5 minutes of dead air at the end.
  • Or show a re-run of "'Til Death". I just figure that dead air would be less of a turn-off.
  • I don't necessarily agree with who got voted out, but she wasn't going to win anyway. It's all about the Davids, at this point.
  • And who got voted out? Why, it was Carly! Had to get that in one last time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"not so good"?? She was awful (although not QUITE as bad as last week)! Even Paula was speechless for an uncomfortably long time.

I thought Syesha had the only really good performance (couple were ok, but nothing special), so I was very disappointed that she still hit the bottom two (not all that surprised, though).

Andrew Lloyd Webber saved the whole show (both shows, actually). They should have him on as guest mentor/judge often. Not necessarily forcing the contestants to sing his songs each time, but just have him on the show.

Josh said...

I think Syesha was the only WOW performance, but I thought there were some other good ones, like David Cook's.

Andrew Lloyd Webber was great. It's nice when they have a judge who is open and honest. Maybe it's the difference between having a performer (who would try to be sympathetic) and a writer or producer.