Thursday, November 27, 2008

Why Morons Should Just Have To Starve

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • So House went to the guy-holding-up-the-emergency-room well, which is a little weird since it's not like the show needs any ratings or story help. It was still a fine episode since they treated it with the usual dark humor, but it wasn't a great episode. It's their first, which means they're basically the Arizona Diamondbacks of guy-holding-up-the-emergency-room episodes. ER says, "Get another twenty-five under your belt, son, and we'll talk."
    • Heroes was okay on Monday, like it's been okay all season. I'm not hating it exactly, but it's just missing that something that it had in the first season. I suppose they just need to switch it up. When Lost did the same thing two seasons ago, they took Jack and company off the island and got right back on track.
    • Pushing Daisies got cancelled. Not a surprise with abysmal ratings. It was one of the best-written shows on television, but there have been better ones before it that have suffered the same fate.
    • Watched Hellboy II tonight. The plot is so-so. As with every Del Toro film, the visuals, especially the creature effects, are wonderful.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • Going back and forth on doing some sort of Thanksgiving post. I did last year. I refuse to be sincere though, so while I probably will do something tomorrow, I promise to be as snarky as possible.
    • Snarky is a funny word. Do you think that if Snarf from Thundercats procreated with Jabberjaw, their offspring would be a Snark?"
    • I found that link to Jabberjaw from a search, but that Toonopedia site looks to be pretty awesome. A reference site for cartoons?!? Expect to see more of that on here.
    • For instance, peep this entry on Silverhawks. Tally ho!
    • When you get good service, you really should spread it around, and I've been remiss on this one. On Sundays when I go to the Ravens game, I usually stop at the University of Maryland Medical Center to hit the Subway in their food court so I can get a sandwich to bring into the stadium. This past Sunday, I ordered a chicken breast sub with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and onions. The guy working there laid the onions and pickles on the non-chicken side of the bun first, then the tomatoes, then the lettuce. That's huge, right? The lettuce should always protect the meat and he made that happen of his own accord.
  • Daily Rant:
    • I needed to pick up one small thing at each of two grocery stores today. One had self checkouts and the other had very short lines (it's the first time I've ever seen Safeway have more than one line open). It would have been so fast, but people are just freaking idiots. At the first store, the woman in front of me didn't know how to use the self checkout. Too hard to follow the instructions that are on the screen and also said aloud? Intimidated by the technology that has only been invented in the last, oh, five years? But that's not the worst. In the other store, the woman in front of me didn't know how to use the card scanner. She wanted to use her credit card, but when it asked for her PIN she didn't know what to do. The answer is that you hit cancel. You hit cancel, just like you do for every goddamn machine that doesn't give you the option immediately. It's not rocket science. It's the same credit card scanner that you've been staring at for the last ten freaking years. Embrace space age technology! I know it's intimidating, but I think you can get through it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allow me to take my nerdiness to the next level for a moment, but in reference to Toonpedia's entry on the SilverHawks: the Star/Marvel Comics series actually lasted for 7 issues, not 6. Get your facts straight, Toonpedia.

-Tom