Tuesday, November 11, 2008

No Diggity

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • The Heroes comments are a lot harder to come up with than for Lost, because the show is fairly straight-forward this season. They've basically gone back to the well and are trying to do the same thing they did in season one. It's changing a bit with the run-up to the events of the pilot this week and next. Not totally feeling it, but it's still entertaining.
    • Thank God those bitches got knocked off of The Amazing Race.
    • The Hadag Nachash concert was very good, if ear-destroying. A lot of their big songs are more Euro/disco (such as a couple to which Elisha linked last night), but they have an interesting vibe with a horn section and keyboards. It's kind of an old school Teddy Riley/Pharrell sound. By the way, I'm shooting for this to be the first post in the history of the internets to start out talking about Heroes and The Amazing Race and contain multiple Teddy Riley references.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • The Ravens are really good. I mean really, really good. Doubtful they can take the Giants next week, but I'm psyched for the future and I think I can find four more wins to get them into the playoffs (especially with the wild card race being pathetic in the AFC).
    • As promised the other day, I'm moving my hip-hop nostalgia into the frame of Jackson 5 samples. Great music begets great samples which begets other great songs. You already heard Kriss Kross' "Jump" which samples "I Want You Back" and Naughty By Nature's "O.P.P." which samples "ABC". You want some other great (and not so great) songs that sample the Jacksons? Jay-Z's "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)", M.C. Hammer's "Dancin' Machine", Vanilla Ice's "Dancin'", Mariah's cover of "I'll Be There", and (my personal favorite), the remix of "Take Me There" by Blackstreet (reference #2) and Mya featuring Mase and Blinky Blink. Of course, you can catch the great dance scene in Clerks II, with "ABC" (NSFW). Or just watch the original "I Want You Back".
    • I freaking love that song. It makes me want to dance like this.
  • Daily Rant:
    • I think my mind has spun around so fast on this whole election thing that I'm getting dizzy. You have to think that the Republicans in Congress will have to work with Obama because of the size of his win and his huge popularity. And some of them have been okay, such as Lindsey Graham's complements on the Rahm Emanuel pick. However, they'll need a leader and who better than John McCain? If he wants to, he can be the bigger man and put a better face on the GOP than Sarah Palin can. I think people are waiting for the party to be the total joke that it became at the end of the campaign and neither Palin nor Jindal (exorcism? really?) can probably help with that. There's always room for a senior senator to transcend partisan politics to some degree. After all, even though he never got the nomination, Edward Kennedy has become an elder statesman. Yes, that's right, wait for it, he's been Teddy, ready with the one-two check-up (I worked it around to #3!).

No comments: