Saturday, August 2, 2008

If You Can't Beat Sense Into 'Em, Join 'Em

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • I think what makes "The Soup" truly great is its use of running jokes. Tonight, they made fun of a short joke last week involving Keith Olbermann and Simon Pegg. If you don't watch the show regularly, there must be so much that you miss.
    • Ditto the synergy between "The Soup" and "Countdown". It doesn't happen most weeks, but sometimes you'll get a joke that gets thrown back and forth between the shows. McHale showed part of the clip from Olbermann on Monday, but it was a better pay-off if you had actually seen the original broadcast.
    • Re-watched Hellboy tonight. I hated it the first time I watched it, but I felt the need to re-visit it with the sequel out and so many people excited. I was wrong. It's a solid B-minus. I don't know what problems I had, other than the fact that it's reasonably anti-climactic.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • The McCain campaign is getting a bit pathetic with their lies and stupid videos. Maybe it's hitting Obama for now, but they can't keep up this crap for much longer. And, little guy, Britney Spears and Paris Hilton aren't exactly huge celebrities anymore. The joy of all of this is in this aggregate of polls from pollster.com. Notice how, no matter how much Obama gets hit, McCain's numbers don't actually go up?
    • I don't see how the Red Sox trade Manny, no matter how obnoxious he gets. He's one of the truly irreplaceable players in baseball. The Yanks and Rays have to be psyched.
    • I've always been a huge Magic Johnson fan. Next year, it'll be Eddie Murray (sorry, Larry Bird).
  • Daily Rant:
    • Off-shore drilling is stupid, period. I'm very against it. Even the current Department of Energy has said it would not significantly affect oil prices in even the next twenty years. Off-shore platforms contributed to 124 spills during Katrina and Rita. That being said, I can live (though not happily) with Obama saying that offshore drilling can be a part of a compromise on energy. It's the right political move, seeing as how people are coming out more and more in favor of the practice. I don't understand why people are in favor of it since no source has said it will help us out economically ever, but, hey, people are either stupid or panicking because of the economy or both. It's the same as with the lapel pin; might as well not fight a fight that people are too dumb to understand.

4 comments:

Roy said...

It was great on Monday when Olberman just about dared McHale and his producer to get it done. I can't wait to watch it on my DVR. The state polls thing is even funnier, as I have to see in every media outlet a two point lead in Florida for Obama being painted as 'bad' for obama and 'good' signs for McCain. Wasn't McCain supposed to run away with Florida by 5-7 points? Personally, I think the only new off shore drilling that should be done should be on "singles" only booze cruises. {rimshot} But what I really wanted to say is that, in life, I've always been the biggest fan of Willie Mays, but Greg Maddux will do just fine for now.

Anonymous said...

Wow, must be nice to "know" that your opinions are always right and that anyone who disagrees with you is just plain dumb. And here I always thought there were a number of issues where reasonably intelligent people could simply disagree. My bad.

Josh said...

Not on off-shore drilling, the gas tax holiday, nor the energy rebae. They're fraudulent, pandering ideas.

Josh said...

I should say that, obviously, I don't think people who disagree with me on every issue are dumb. Plus, in the rant, I wrote that the whole idea could be chalked up to desperation/panic, which would be relatively understandable.

Besides, I try to exaggerate a little on some issues (but not all) so I don't sound wishy-washy or too politically correct. Don't want to sound too bland.