Saturday, August 9, 2008

How Often Do You See A Living Legend?

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • Went tonight to see 89-year-old Legend (with a capital L) Pete Seeger perform. I hope that I'm as spry at that age as he is. The best review I can give is that at one point as the performers (Seeger with his grandson and blues/folk singer Guy Davis) were about to perform "This Little Light Of Mine", Davis said, "Let's get a little meat and potatoes here." He's exactly right. These songs and the sounds of a banjo and a guitar are meat and potatoes for the soul.
    • The big game of the night was figuring which number would be higher: A) The amount of people wearing Obama gear; or B) the number of people who looked like they could change their name to Alexander Supertramp and starve to death in a bus in Alaska. A) was the overwhelming winner. Turns out that most of the people my age were the preppy children of hippies. Color me guilty of that as well. By the way, a quick poll of the room showed that the approval ratings for Bush and Cheney were 0% and 0%, respectively, while the approval rating for Obama was 100%.
    • The America Ferrera clip on "The Soup" tonight is in the running for my favorite clip of the year, but I almost choked laughing at Anderson Cooper's payoff line from the Clip of the Week.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • The videos are being taken down from YouTube as fast as they're going up, but you must see the entire torch lighting ceremony (maybe NBC will put it up on-line or On Demand). It was unprecedented and breath-taking.
    • Please to enjoy the audio from the 911 call involving the idiot and his sandwich without sauce.
  • Daily Rant:
    • I'm not doing enough for the election yet. I worked during the primaries and I've convinced a number of people to support Obama and I've given money, but I live twenty minutes from one of the three most important states in the election and I can do more.

1 comment:

Roy said...

The torch light was amazing. And NBC came through.

NBC Olympics Video Page

Just Click on Olympic Ceremony - Li Ning Soars.