Monday, December 1, 2008

D-V-R You Kidding Me?

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • Obviously, the end of the eclipse thing on Heroes was very predictable. Still, I enjoyed most of the Seth Green/Breckin Meyer bit. Any Robot Chicken love is great. The end part though, where Seth Green is channeling Tim Kring by talking about how meaningful it is that regular people can have powers? Way cheesy. I did love Hiro saving the day in the Bennett household. The show is still watchable, it just continues to remain well below its first season glory.
    • So far in the past year or so, Seth Green has been on Grey's Anatomy, My Name Is Earl, Entourage, and Heroes. He's America's Guest Star. He's a Carol Burnett Show away from being Tim Conway. I do have some timely references, don't I?
    • Weird out-of-the-story-arc episode of Terminator tonight. There was a tiny bit to prove that it wasn't just an episode they had in the can and decided to show, but just a tiny bit.
    • That kind of brings up an interesting point about the evolution of TV and people's attention spans. The X-Files had its running story with the conspiracy and the Cigarette Smoking Man, but that got pretty old by the end and the better episodes tended to be the one-off story lines that were wrapped up in an hour. Twin Peaks had a running story, but it couldn't be sustained for more than one season. Was it The Sopranos that made long stories popular? With that, Lost, The Wire, Heroes, and Desperate Housewives, among others, some of the most popular shows have to be watched over a long period of time for them to make any sense. Sure, you still have C.S.I.: that has a story arc but is mostly made of one-off episodes, but it used to be the rule instead of the exception. Are people more into being invested in a show? Do they lose attention now if a show doesn't leave cliff-hanger after cliff-hanger?
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • Peter King said today that he envisions as many as thirteen coaching changes at the end of the year. Well, I'm watching the Jaguars look like crap right now against the Texans and I can think of at least one.
    • You know I love my basketball highlights. Check out Derrick Rose breaking out a wicked crossover to send Andre Miller, a legit player, to the floor.
    • I keep wanting to see Maryland play Georgetown every year. Maybe not. 75-48 is pretty ugly and it shows that the Hoyas are at the top of DC hoops and nobody else is close.
  • Daily Rant:
    • It's happened on Heroes the last two weeks and at least twice on House this year -- the show is scheduled from, say, 9-10, but the last scene and next week's preview happen at 10:01. Are they trying to screw people with DVRs and get them to watch live? Maybe I'll set everything an extra minute from now on, but it pisses me off more than anything. In the meantime, I'll have to get the recap from Television Without Pity and stew over it.

1 comment:

Roy said...

Some shows, or networks (NBC, you guys are bastards!), are more guilty of the 'overtime' game on broadcasts. My DVR setting for Heroes, due to missed time on both ends, starts at 8:55pm (I get a little Chuck) and runs till 10:10pm. When I finally watch it, I just hit stop and delete once the episode ends, even though I usually have about 7 mins of some crap "My Own Worst Medium" recorded left.

Clearly, Seth Green is playing fanboy too. Notice, he usually shows up in shows that match up to his sense of humor well. We've yet to see him guest on The Mentalist.