Saturday, June 21, 2008

To Care Or Not To Care

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • Saw this week's episode of "30 Days". A hunter went to live with someone who works for PETA. More below.
    • It's so funny to see the differences between "30 Days" and the Penn and Teller show on Showtime. The obvious one is that one is meant to be impartial and one is meant to biased. Both are great shows with similar styles, but such different feels.
    • Joel McHale tonight: "As you may know, we're all being forced by law to gay marry in California." Love it.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • I need to cancel a Comcast service appointment tomorrow because my cable starting working perfectly again. One would think this would save them time and money. Should I have had to wait on hold for almost an hour before I finally gave up?
    • After flipping past some "Chappelle's Show" re-runs, here's one of the great pieces he did. Will TV ever be as funny ever again? I actually bet no.
  • Daily Rant:
    • The idea of animal rights activism is so challenging. On "30 Days", they showed a number of very disturbing scenes of animal abuse and the work that people are doing to rescue them. I'm going to eat meat and I understand that meat comes from dead animals. It helps a bit that I keep kosher at home and kosher meat has to be killed "more humanely" than non-kosher meat. I think I'm for animal rights, but some of the people make it so hard. When one woman kept saying over and over that the way people treat animals is exactly the same as they way that the Nazis treated Jews, I automatically want to disagree with anything she might believe in. And there are questions like, what happens to any saved cows, would there be some kind of population problem? Do cows show up naturally in nature in the U.S.? I don't know. If you're going to choose to eat meat, it's just something you have to be aware of and deal with, but I find it to be one of the hardest philosophical questions with which to come to grips.

No comments: