Monday, June 9, 2008

All The Leaves Are Brown (From Spontaneous Combustion)

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • It says a lot of what you need to know about Baltimore and Washington when the Clinton speech dominated the front page of the The Post this morning and The Sun was all about Big Brown's choke job in the Belmont. Of course, both were about "inevitable" winners who, in the end, were anything but.
    • How did the Lakers beat San Antonio? They don't look all that good so far in the Finals.
    • Hairspray premiered on HBO tonight, if you haven't seen it yet. I'm a huge fan of the movie.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • A lot of stories about the space station lately, but the whole idea of manned space exploration seems so 1960s at this point.
    • A fond farewell to Jim McKay, who got his start in Baltimore and is remembered by people my age for his work on horse racing and "ABC's Wide World of Sports". You may also remember him from Munich -- Spielberg used tapes of McKay's live news coverage of the hostage crisis early in the movie.
  • Daily Rant:
    • It's finally happened. Al Gore was right. Global Warming has finally hit us with near-triple-digit temperatures in early June. The polar ice caps are melting like the Wicked Witch of The West in a drizzle. I saw a polar bear run by this morning and I thought I might be in the Dharma Initiative. I'm excited to go to California on Tuesday where the rising sea level will most likely drown me just seconds before the big earthquake would have hit and dunked the state into the Pacific like a big liberal Oreo cookie. I'm really into the bad metaphors right now, huh? Yes, next week, I'm going back to Cali, to Cali, to Cali, I do think so. I'm even pondering staying and opening up a business. After June 17, I foresee a potential niche market for same-sex divorce lawyers. Gotta love the fact that they'll have the same chance to screw up as 50% of us straight couples do.

No comments: