Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mr. Deeds Goes To Town

  • Random Pop Culture:
    • Crappy pop punk band AFI has covered "Head Like A Hole". If you're listening to the radio and you hear an opening that sounds sort of, but not quite, like the Nine Inch Nails classic, turn the station. Quickly.
    • We've all seen the trailers for the Glenn Beck live stand-up show simulcast in movie theaters. We've all been curious about what that show would actually be like and who would go to watch it. Former Daily Show writer Scott Jacobson, who I've become a fan of lately, wrote a good piece for Vanity Fair about Beck's show.
    • The word is that 2000 S St., NW will be the Real World: DC house. Either go down and see what's going on or stay as far away from Dupont as possible, depending on your mindset.
  • Random Hatred and/or Love:
    • This blog post from Ta-Nehisi Coates on the internal battle between being a conservative and being a liberal is as well-written and thought-provoking a post as you'll find. It makes the argument for why I'm a liberal -- even as change can lead to violent upheaval, we must continuously question the "norms" and work to overcome the institutional mistakes of the past.
  • A List Of One:
    • In honor of his come-from-behind win in the VA Democratic Gubernatorial primary, I was going to do a list of best people with the name Creigh (yes, I know it's his middle name). Turns out I could only find a model and a hill in Scotland, so had to scrap that. I feel like the primary came and went pretty quietly. True, I live on the other side of the river, but I get the Post and see the local news promos. I guess it does say a lot about where the center of Democratic politics in VA is when the Post's endorsement can change the race that drastically.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

I've never been more disappointed in the post. I realize there are a ton of issues out there, but I can't forgive him for his vote for the marriage amendment. That's probably the single-most issue I've ever been involved in here in Virginia. I know he said he's since changed his mind, but he said he changed his mind because the language was too broad. I've never heard him say that he thinks it's the right thing to allow gays to marry. His change of heart seemed too convenient to appeal to a more democratic activist base.