Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tarheeled and Feathered

I was pretty excited for this championship game -- two exciting teams, both from schools that I like, both that I've rooted for throughout the season. Not to be, however, as Carolina finished off the Dean Smith Invitational NCAA Tournament in rousing fashion. Some final notes:
  • I'm fairly certain that Carolina's last three championships have now come against Michigan State, Illinois, and Michigan. Think their next may come against Purdue or Wisconsin?
  • Wayne Ellington won Most Outstanding Player with 39 points in the Final Four, but there's no question that Ty Lawson was the most unstoppable force in the Tournament this year. Who's the last guy we've seen play at such a level at all times? Corey Brewer? Deron Williams? Juan Dixon?
  • Hansbrough and Green graduate, but it's hard to imagine Lawson or Ellington going pro after this year. Possible, but I think they're marginal enough lottery picks that they'd stay. Given that, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see UNC and Michigan State be 1-2 in the first preseason polls for next year. In fact, if I had to pick one team to win it all right this second, it would be Michigan State. They lose Walton and Suton, but that's pretty much it.

No comments: