Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sh'mot

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • I called that the chick on 90210 was a Narc. Just wanted to let you know. Maybe it was only a minute before the reveal, but it was before the reveal.
    • Fasting takes a lot out of you, so after a late-ending break fast, I'm forgoing Thursday night TV for bed. I probably won't be able to report on Survivor or the big C.S.I.: premiere until Saturday.
    • I finished the Star Wars game (or at least one of the multiple endings). Solid plot and the graphics during one of the final battles are really good.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • Today marks one year of Random Babbles. So whoop-de-do on that.
    • This post by Andrew Sullivan (based on a post by Nate Silver) got me thinking about the future of the GOP. Now, I'm no expert on this, so I may be very wrong. You hear about the "Reagan Democrats", people who ID as Dems but are more conservative, voted for Reagan, and didn't come back until Clinton took the center in 1992. Reagan got 489 electoral votes in 1980 and I have Obama's top-top ceiling at 395 (in the unlikely chance that he wins MO, IN, WV, and GA), so Obama certainly won't take as many Republicans as Reagan took Democrats (though Reagan won by "only" 10 points that year). You can feel an ideological divide though between the "values voters", the social conservatives who are crazy about Palin, and the fiscal conservatives who don't much like McCain and his ticket, especially after this housing bailout nonsense. One side has fallen victim to the culture war that Karl Rove started and the other has more rational reasons for disliking Obama. It's hard to imagine these two sides co-existing in the same party for much longer, especially if it seems that with the economy McCain would have been better served with Romney or with a more respected populist like Huckabee. Can the David Frums of the world support a Palin candidacy in 2012? I bet not. Are we going to see a stretch of Democratic dominance while the Republicans sort out what party they want to be? I wouldn't be surprised. Will we end up with a liberal party, a fiscal conservative party, and a social conservative party? Most definitely not, but it would be really interesting to see what would happen if we did and we went to a parliamentary style of government.
  • League Championship Series Preview:
    • Once again, I'm a little late, but once again I expected Cole Hamels to win Game 1 and once again he did. So with no surprise there, I'll stick with Phillies in 7. Home field, a tough 1-2 combo, and clutch hitting from both sides of the plate with Utley and Burrell.
    • I really want to pick Tampa in the AL, but how could I? The Sox have been there many times and they handled the Angels, who had the best record in baseball this year, with good pitching and timely hitting and defense. The same stuff that led them to their other recent championships. As much as it pains me, I have to go with Red Sox in 5.

No comments: