Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Idol Chatter

No big questions about Lost right now, but another interesting episode that will take some time to mull over. Still no real answers (the Richard/Jacob stuff was nothing surprising) and I'm, I guess I'd say, befuddled. On the basketball front, Butler rolled over Wright State. They're the best team to play so far this week and would get a 10 out of 10 on my Cinderella Watch, though they will be a 5- or 6-seed at worst. Anyways, it's the last round before the Final 12, so here we go:
  • Katie Stevens, singing Kelly Clarkson's "Breakaway": This performance couldn't find tune if it had neon lights all over it. Bad, bad, bad. Simon: "You kind of sucked... pause pause pause pause ... the energy out of it."
  • Siobhan Magnus, singing The Animals' "The House of the Rising Sun": She has less personality than the popcorn I made this evening. So little confidence, which shows on stage. Not the style that I like, but I really liked this performance. Really nice tone. I just prefer more edgy for that song.
  • Lacey Brown, singing Brandy Carlile's "The Story": She has an interesting voice (sounds kind of like Dolly Parton), but she's just not that good a singer. She's been among the worst two each week. This was better. Boring, though. I guess this is the night to be safe and not stand out.
  • Katelyn Epperly, singing Carole King's "I Feel the Earth Move": Steve picked Katelyn as the one most likely to be the bad but hot one even if she's not that hot. As Christoph Waltz said in Inglourious Basterds, "That is a bingo!" Nothing to add.
  • Didi Benami, singing Fleetwood Mac's "Rhiannon": I didn't say after catching up on last week that I'm off her. She's not that good. Also, even if her name is potentially Israeli, she's definitely not Jewish since she said she prays before every performance. Tonight was decent but, again, boring. I think someone told Ellen to turn it on more because she's pretty hyper tonight.
  • Paige Miles, singing Charlie Chaplin(!)'s "Smile": She looked slightly less comfortable on the stage than I would look at a Sarah Palin rally. Palin admitted that she used to go into Canada to get better health care? I want to make a joke about how she's trying to kill her career, but I'm speechless. Paige needed universal health care to fix this broken performance. The judging was accurate but, oh, so awkward.
  • Crystal Bowersox, singing Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason": Since I watch Idol on the DVR later than it airs, I go to Wikipedia to see which songs the contestants are singing. When I saw this one, I was pretty excited. The best singer this year doing a song that fits her to a tee. Not disappointing. She's the best of a sorry bunch, but she's still the best.
  • Lilly Scott, singing Patsy Cline's "I Fall to Pieces": Hard for me to take this one seriously, for some reason. Maybe too twangy, maybe too boring, maybe she smiled too much. This has been one horrible season with no silver lining in sight.

Bad night to have your name start with a "K", but Paige was horrible. I'm saying Paige and Katie are out.

No comments: