One thing that I can't stand this year is how the judges seem to give contradictory advice. For example, they told a few singers to make the song their own, to not sing it just like the original performed sang it. Then, they tell a performer like Todrick Hall, who sings a fresh version of a song, to just hit the notes and don't worry about being different. I wish they would be consistent here.
Here's the rundown
- Michael Lynche - Season 9's Rueben Studdard - Ryan Seacrest plays him up, calling him Big Mike. I'd have to think that this gives him some extra credibility. He has that teddy bear appearance that will get him plenty of votes. Tonight, he sang "This is a Man's World" by James Brown. I thought it was really good. He is one of my favorites among the men.
- John Park - Season 9's John Stevens - He is a crooner, nothing more. He would be good on Broadway but I don't know if he is cut out for this competition. He sang John Mayer's "Gravity". He was better than last week but that's not saying much. He might be in trouble.
- Casey James - Season 9's Ace Young (but with talent) - He is the most polished overall performer. Tonight he sang Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Wanna Be". The judges were a bit hard on him but he will be safe. Whether he wins this competition or not, he will certainly have a successful album once the season is done.
- Alex Lambert - Season 9's Kevin Covais - Sang John Legend's "Everybody Knows". There is no doubt this kid got beat up in high school. He has a decent voice but it is not good enough to hang around very long.
- Todrick Hall - Season 9's Corey Clark - The judges seem to have it in for him. He sang Tina Turner's "What's Love Got To Do With It". I thought it was pretty solid. The judges all saw it differently. He doesn't have the best singing voice amongst the men, but he has much better onstage presence than most, if not all, of the men.
- Jermaine Sellers -Season 9's Nikko Smith - Seems more into fashion than singing. What's with the ugly bow tie? He sang "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye. What is going on is that he is in trouble this week.
- Andrew Garcia - Season 9's Danny Gokey - Andrew seems to be taking a step backward each week. His version of "You Give Me Something" by James Morrisson was just disappointing.
- Aaron Kelly - Season 9's David Archuleta (with less talent) - Sang The Temptation's "My Girl". He just looks scared to be on the stage. I wasn't impressed.
- Tim Urban - Season 9's Kris Allen (with much, much less talent) - Sang "Come On, Get High" by Matt Nathanson. I don't know how many ways I can come up with to he say that he sucks. Unfortunately, this is an easy candidate for the Vote for the Worst crowd. As Tony Kornheiser would say, he Gots to Go.
- Lee Dewyze - Season 9's Michael Johns - Sang Hinder's "Lips of an Angel". I could go either way on him. He seems like the contestant that will have a good week followed by a bad week but move on based on his reputation. He's safe this week.
If I had to pick two to go home this week, I'd like to see Tim and Jermaine go home. That being said, it wouldn't shock me to see John, Alex, Todrick, Andrew or Aaron go home. Only Michael, Casey and Lee are safe.