Thursday, November 26, 2009

Erev Thanksgiving

  • Random Pop Culture:
    • I saw the G.I. Joe movie tonight via Netflix. It's bad -- bad acting, bad script, some weird scene-to-scene cuts, way too many flashbacks, some very derivative scenes (especially of Star Wars as the Joes try to infiltrate/disarm/escape the enemy base). If you accept this and go in with the lowest of low expectations, it's actually quite entertaining. I was surprised that I enjoyed myself as much as I did. Sure, some of it is laughing at the movie, but that's entertainment, too. Bad, but entertaining. So now you know.
    • Sunday's Dexter ended with a jaw-dropper of a twist. So much of the episode had been predictable and they led you to believe all signs were pointing towards one certain thing happening, but then they took a left turn at literally the last moment (the twist came in the last three or fewer seconds before the end of the episode).
    • So the fall portion of V is done and the show goes on hiatus until March, at which point it will have a new person at the helm. It shows enough promise here and there that I'll stick with it for now.
    • College basketball is on. Tonight was the championship game of the Maui Invitational, as Gonzaga and Cincinnati went to overtime before the Bulldogs won it with a big defensive play at the buzzer. I like both of those teams to be solid tournament teams. Cincy has great size, plays stifling defense, and has a potential star in top recruit Lance Stephenson. Gonzaga is Gonzaga -- great guards, enough size, solid experience.
  • Random Music Video:
    • It's easy to go with Adam Sandler's song, but the best Thanksgiving song is, without a doubt, Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant Massacree". Baltimore's 98 Rock plays it every Thanksgiving at noon and I try to tune in every year, as if I didn't also have the song on CD. So to honor my favorite holiday (how could anyone disagree?), here's the story of garbage, twenty-seven 8-by-10 color glossy pictures, and how to start a movement:

No comments: