Saturday, October 31, 2009

All The Joy Within You

I'm punting tonight's post other than a few notes:
  • Didn't have the chance to watch my bad movie today. It'll come tomorrow. No idea which one it will be yet, but I feel like I have to get into the dramas so that I can leave some more fun ones for later. Period piece, perhaps? Yay...
  • I did get out to see the Coen Brothers' new film A Serious Man, their study of American Jewish life in the late 1960s. I actually would write something about it, but it's going to take a while (probably a second viewing) to get my thoughts together. It's really, really good, but it has any number of possible messages that resonate greatly with me and I have to decide which one I think it's really trying to get across. It's an absolute must-see for anyone interested in Judaism.
  • With so many Blockbuster's going out of business recently, I've been thinking about which movies that came out this year are must-buys on DVD. Which am I guaranteed to watch multiple times? So far, I can only come up with Star Trek, The Hangover, Inglourious Basterds, and maybe A Serious Man (but for different reasons).
  • Last night's episode of Community was the best one yet. All-around great.
  • Last night's 30 Rock was maybe my least favorite episode of that show. Still a lot of good jokes, but the "Real America" running gag is running thin.
  • Last night's Grey's Anatomy, while a little over-stylized, was very good. They eschewed the usual soap opera in favor of a tense character study of their best character, Derek.
  • The song at the heart of the Coen Brothers' movie. There's a deeper meaning in here somewhere...

No comments: