Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Future's In Our Hands

  • Random Pop Culture:
    • Two words: Curtis. Armstrong. Not the strongest Earl ever, but still.
    • I didn't say it last week, but the secret Survivor cross-tribal alliance dawned on me literally five seconds before they came up with it on the show. I paused it, said, "Hey, they could totally pull something over on both of their tribes," and re-started the show in time to hear Brendan and Taj say something along the lines of, "Hey, we could totally pull something over on both of our tribes." Great strategy.
    • One other Egyptian reference in Lost -- the sky god in Ancient Egypt? Horus.
  • Random Hatred And/Or Love:
    • Just when I had made fun of how predictable Idol is, they one-upped (one-downed?) my low expectations. First of all, they ran long so my DVR cut out during the last commercial break, meaning I had to go to Vote For The Worst, YouTube, and EW.com to figure out who was the twelth finalist. Of course, it was there that I found out that, shock of all shocks, they were going to have thirteen! So Anoop and Matt G. could both make it in! I'm sure it's not coincidental at all that the three people beside Anoop (I actually don't think Anoop is a plant, because he doesn't sound like he looks) who made it through were the three that the producers hyped up the most all along. Matt G. was the obvious choice if you knew they were going to pick four. I'm sure it's also not coincedental at all that whenever one of the eventual winners sang, Simon said that they were so-so vocally but that they were really marketable and really good, while whenever one of the others sang, Simon would say that they sounded good (which most of them did) but that they were annoying or indulgent or didn't have the "it" factor. I know that was a long sentence, but it was less tedious than this travesty of correcting the mistakes that America apparently made by not picking the producers' plants. In its unpredicability, Idol was even more predictable than ever. Well at least we're down to the finalists and we can get straight to the vote-rigging.
  • Random Music Video:
    • This song is on Guitar Hero: World Tour and I was talking with a few people who either hadn't heard it or don't remember it. With all apologies to Green Day and Rancid, is this the best punk song of the last fifteen years or so? I think yes.

No comments: