Tuesday, October 9, 2007

B'reishit

Welcome. So the goal of this thing is to post daily with a few standard categories and thoughts. Will I actually live up to the commitment? Who the hell knows... I'll try.... This first one will probably be a little longer than usual as I catch up on some random things. So here we go:

  • What I'm Watching/Listening To/Reading:
    • All the fall TV is back and so far no huge disappointments. The standouts?
      • Think about what last week's "My Name is Earl" says about society today -- a mainstream sitcom that involved multiple scenes of men kissing and homo-eroticism. Sure, America is repressed, but the show wasn't in the least bit controversial in the news. We've come a ways. Plus, it was damn funny as usual.
      • Strong "Heroes" this past Monday -- Tim Kring let the writers throw a shout-out to the nerds. Peter going Darth Vader on the Irish gangster? Good stuff.
      • Make fun of me if you will -- for my money, I don't think there's a more underrated actor than Eric Dane (Sloane on "Grey's Anatomy") on TV. More so than even Rex Lee (Lloyd on "Entourage"), Jack Coleman (Bennett on "Heroes"), or Michael K. Williams (Omar on "The Wire"). He's either a good actor or one smarmy m-f-er in real life.
    • New shows? I'll save the uber-comedy phenomenon known as "Kid Nation" for later.
    • "The Reminder" by Feist. Yeah, that Video iPod Nano commercial sucked me in... These "alt-folk" chicks like Leslie Feist and K.T. Tunstall have a pretty good sound.
    • "Graduation" by Kanye West. A friend called it a "grower". The first time through it was just alright in spots. Now, the who-knows-how-many-times through? Noah Webster invented "tight" for just this purpose. Arguably his best.
  • Random Thoughts/Links:
    • Kudos to Dear Abby
    • I took a test to see which candidate I most match up with. It came back as Dennis Kucinich, followed by Mike Gravel. I guess I'm more liberal than I thought. Here's the link to the test (thanks to Angie).
    • I think Sabathia and Carmona (the C.C. & C Pitching Factory) are too much for Boston. I know Papi and Manny are hot, but Travis Hafner has come alive lately also. Can Colorado shock the world and blow through Arizona and the AL? Yes and no. I like the Tribe to take home the title.
  • Daily Rant:
    • I'm just going to go sports on this one. Nice and easy. My fantasy team is the hard-luck team this year -- seems like I score in the top 3 or 4 each week, but always play someone who scored just a bit higher. Has to even out at some point. But I'm more concerned with the real-life fantasy team known as the New England Patriots. I find it funny to no end that so many Red Sox fans are basically rooting for the Yankees. Yeah, sorry, Bill Simmons. You sound like so many Yankees fans that you've mocked over the years. Some cocky, slightly obnoxious fans? Check. Evil tendencies of the organization? Check. I mean, geez, he even bashes Vince Carter for what he pulled in Toronto and then welcomes Randy Moss with open arms? Shameful. It's good to have an Evil Empire in a sport -- it makes rooting against them that much more fun. Even a Baltimore fan has to root for Luke Skywalker and his laser rocket arm against Jeter, er, Brady and company.

No comments: