Wednesday, June 30, 2010

New Kids Wednesday!

  • The Monologue:
    • Nigeria has suspended its national team for two years because of its poor showing in the World Cup. What a Christian Okoye for them!
    • After the GOP's trashing of Thurgood Marshall during the Supreme Court confirmation hearings, President Obama has asked Elena Kagan to tell them that she also once worked for Martin Luther King, Abraham Lincoln, and Jesus.
    • Fine, the Marshall stuff was dumb, but let's be honest; it's not like the Republicans are going to get many African-American votes anyway. Even Michael Steele said the GOP was "very naughty and needed to be punished."
  • Random Pop Culture:
    • If I sit down to watch a show, read a series of books, or watch a series of movies, I have to start at the beginning and work my way through. It doesn't matter if each part stands on its own. I use that as preface for this: I should have just skipped the second season of Friday Night Lights and moved right to the third. If anyone wants to watch the show (and I highly recommend it), you should do that. The second season had its plot issues, but the worst thing is that it ended after fifteen episodes because of the writers' strike. Unfortunately, it was supposed to be twenty-two or so episodes and they never finished the story. The third season premiere pretends as if those last seven or so episodes happened, making the whole thing very surreal. Better to have just skipped those fifteen episodes and caught up the same way I had to anyway, through context and some flashbacks.
    • I am really sick of the NBA free agent stuff. It's unavoidable. The oil spill isn't leaking into as many dark corners of my consciousness as this crap.
    • DVD pick of the week: Hot Tub Time Machine. Rob Corddry freaking kills in that movie.
    • I call foul on yesterday's "Two for Tuesday" on local station 105.9. Yes, I call foul on the entire concept of "Two for Tuesday," but I'm getting more specific. They played, back-to-back, "Layla" and "Forever Man". Um, "Layla" is by Derek and the Dominoes and "Forever Man" is by Clapton solo? Would you do a "Two for Tuesday" with "Hey, Jude" and "Imagine"?
  • Random Music Video:
    • This song hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 twenty years ago today and stayed there for three weeks. Donnie is wearing a Public Enemy shirt? Right. So, enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd do a Two-For-Tuesday of Neil Young's "Southern Man" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama," but I guess stirring up controversy like that is why they've labeled me "the bad boy of PG County Morning Drive Time radio."

Very clever Christian Okoye joke. My morning zoo crew is looking for another wacky voice to try to yell over top of everyone- interested? You'd fit right in on the T-Bone and the Morning Wood Show, 5am to 10am weekdays on 104.3, WOOD.

-Tom

(Sorry, I'm working on very little sleep here...it's left me a little punchy).