Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Previewing The TV

Here you go, by day, the shows I'm planning on watching this year. Maybe more than in the past because I've had so much time to catch up on shows I wanted to watch, though I found that last year I was able to drop shows midstream (Heroes, Flash Forward, V) easily.

Sunday:

  • The Amazing Race (CBS, 8PM): Last season had some weak teams, but it's not like that is a trend like on Idol. Anticipation: 8/10
  • Dexter (Showtime, 9PM): It's going to be hard to follow last season and last season's final two minutes, but the show has improved greatly each of the last two seasons. Anticipation: 9/10
  • Boardwalk Empire (HBO, 9PM): The hype says that this new mob show is as good as anything on TV from second one. The commercials say that Michael Kenneth Williams is on the show. Anticipation: 10/10
  • Others: I'll give The Walking Dead a shot when it premieres on AMC on Halloween.

Monday:

  • How I Met Your Mother (CBS, 8PM): I still hate the laugh track and the frame story, which moved along more slowly last year than it ever has, but it still manages to surprise with funny storylines. Apparently the frame story is going to get a kick in the butt at the beginning of this season, so we'll see. Anticipation: 7/10
  • 90210 (CW, 8PM): A great last season finale and a much-anticipated plot point for this season should keep this show dumb but fun, which is fine as long as it doesn't try to be anything else. Anticipation: 8/10
  • House (Fox, 8PM): Last season was one of the show's best and it ended with House and Cuddy finally getting together. With Lost gone, House is the best network drama. I have it at #5 overall after Treme, Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad (tie), and Mad Men. Anticipation: 9/10
  • Hawaii Five-0 (CBS, 10PM): I'm giving it a try but a very short leash. I'm only giving it a shot because of a cast that includes Daniel Dae Kim, Grace Park (Boomer from BSG), and Scott Caan (who has been great on Entourage this season). Anticipation: 5/10

Tuesday:

  • Sons of Anarchy (FX, 10PM): As I said before, I have it tied with Breaking Bad as the second-best drama on TV. It is amazing and tonight's season premiere did not disappoint with a shocking and violent ending. Anticipation: 10/10
  • Note that I would rather watch an ant crawl back and forth on a piece of grass than watch Greg Garcia's new show, Raising Hope.

Wednesday:

  • Survivor (CBS, 8PM): My favorite show on TV moves to Wednesday night with a season that includes former U and Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson. It's going to be great. As always. Anticipation: 10/10
  • Terriers (FX, 10PM): I'm going to check this out for three reasons. One, I like Donal Logue. Two, the critics love it. Three, FX is killing it with shows right now (Sons of Anarchy, Archer, Louie, Sunny). Anticipation: 6/10

Thursday:

  • Community (NBC, 8PM): The best new show from last year returns. Anticipation: 9/10
  • 30 Rock (NBC, 8:30PM): After much of last season was weak, the season finale absolutely killed. I'm curious to see if and how much Matt Damon shows up this year. Anticipation: 8/10
  • C.S.I.: (CBS, 9PM): The show just keeps ticking away. The serial killer arc from last year was okay and the resolution was sort of anti-climactic, but the standard formula works. Anticipation: 7/10
  • Grey's Anatomy (ABC, 9PM): The last episode was probably second to only Dexter among last season's finales, so riveting that I was sick to my stomach for the first hour or so of the two-hour episode. Will that carry over? Probably only but so much, but it's an entertaining show. Anticipation: 7/10
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX, 10PM): Curb Your Enthusiasm is the funniest show on TV. This might be second. Anticipation: 9/10
  • Parks and Recreation will return at some point during the season and I'm very excited about that. The show is really, really good. Here's what it would take for me to watch $#*! My Dad Says: them to pay me a million dollars and even then I'd probably shut my eyes and pretend I was watching something else.

Friday:

  • Human Target (Fox, 8PM): One of the most fun shows on the air. It's similar to the great action shows of the 1980s. Turn your brain off and enjoy, which is pretty good for a Friday. Anticipation: 7/10

No comments: