Monday, April 19, 2010

OKC

Today, the 17th anniversary of the storming of the Branch Davidian compound in Waco and the 15th anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing, is one of those rare "I remember where I was when..." kind of days. Fifteen years ago today, I happened to be visiting the Department of Justice and, besides seeing Janet Reno, learned there about what had happened in Oklahoma. It was the biggest domestic terrorist attack on American soil (either ever or since the Civil War, depending on how you view the Confederacy).

Seven years ago, I had the fortune of driving through Oklahoma City while on a road trip and stopped at the Oklahoma City National Memorial. It's worth going if you happen to be in the area. It's tremendous; up there with FDR as my two favorite non-Lincoln memorials. It particularly stands out because I've been near Ground Zero a number of times over the last six months or so and the lack of a 9/11 memorial is crushing. Just absolutely crushing.

Here's a video someone took of the Oklahoma City National Memorial:

No comments: