Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Seedy Underbelly Of Pop

Nostalgic for songs from the '70s and '80s? As I listen to old music -- remember that I don't know anything new that doesn't have Snoop Dogg rapping and Candyland being played -- a few choice things pop out at me. I'm crying foul!

Putting aside his desire for completely random sex, Tone Loc sounds enthusiastically homophobic when he declares that he "don't fool around with the Oscar Mayer wiener" and that "this is the '80s and I'm down with ladies, ya know?" Well, this is the Teens, Tone Loc, and we are not down with giving women some sort of potion so they sleep with us, okay?


If I'm not mistaken, Rick Nielsen is calling his mother a whore here. His mother said, about "girls like you," "you never know what you'll catch." His father talks about how his mother knows what she's talking about regarding venereal disease because she served in the WACS in the Philippines. Nielsen then presumably takes a nap and wakes up to find his parents having sex, so he just puts on a KISS record. Child services!


The worst offender, of course, is The Human League. A catchy song about a guy trying to coerce a woman into staying with him by saying she's worthless and will be nothing without him. She decides to leave him and he threatens her, saying they will both be sorry. The Human League is from England, not from Sweden as I would have guessed. I'm presuming that all Swedes hate women, based on the books I'm reading. I can't walk into IKEA without being creeped out, but that's for another time.

No comments: