Thursday, July 22, 2010

Up In The Air

  • The Monologue:
    • It's really just the picture in this story that is funny. Looking like a hip-hop Bugsy Malone.
    • And speaking of weird-looking pictures, Orlando Bloom has apparently married a 12-year-old.
    • Some woman is suing Simon Cowell for being mean to her on a reality show. Yesterday, in the same court, the cast of Jersey Shore sued MTV for robbing them of their dignity.
  • Random Pop Culture:
    • Louie is really, really good. Really, really smart. For instance, for someone to say, "I am a fan of you," is technically bad grammar; it should be "yours." Louie had a skit where one of the main jokes was someone from Alabama saying over and over, "My sister is a fan of you." Subtle, but so smart.
    • Last week's Entourage was actually really, really good until the last half of the episode dealt with all Vince and Turtle. It went from enjoyable to dead stop in a second when Vince saw Adrian Peterson at an auction for no apparent reason. There's hope there, but it's slim.
    • I said the other day that Inception is the best movie I've seen in a couple of years, which means that I think it's better than Avatar. It probably is, but I realized that's saying a lot. The plot is much better, but I still think the latter gets slept on in terms of overall quality.
    • So many like Inception (and so few people dislike it) that Roger Ebert has been on this kick of movies that everyone likes. It's a pretty good question and one to which I may give some thought. He threw out Pulp Fiction and WALL-E, but I know that's not true because a certain someone I know didn't really like either. Other possibilities include Casablanca (duh), Back To The Future, E.T., and Jaws.
  • Random Video:
    • There's animal cruelty and then there's animal cruelty, and this... Well... It's one of those two things.

3 comments:

angie said...

Woo-hoo! I got a mention in Josh's blog post!

Or else let me inform you that you know 2 people who didn't really care for either Pulp Fiction or WALL-E. I've only seen two of the other four classics you mentioned, but I liked both of them!

angie said...

Oh, and your grammar example -- I know I would say "of yours" but I guess I never really thought about it before...why does that construct use the possessive when most others don't? (I wouldn't say "I'm a fan of football's" or "I'm a fan of Bon Jovi's." Or am I simply wrong in these two examples?)

Josh said...

I remembered from my movie list that you didn't like them. I hope I don't know anyone else for whom that's the case. :)

That's a good point, especially the football one. I bet there's a grammar blog somewhere that's dealt with that. I'll see if I can find something.