Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Internet Makes No Sense

  • The Monologue:
    • I went to walk the dog this morning, not realizing that the Knicks had traded him to Denver along with fourteen players, thirty draft picks, and the entire population of Staten Island.
    • Is there any more relieved person in the world right now than Hosni Mubarak? "I'm not that bad, guys, seriously."
    • Rush Limbaugh called Michelle Obama overweight. Not to be outdone, Sarah Palin called her stupid.
  • Random Pop Culture:
    • Traffic Light had a nice bit about a guy treasuring his morning commute as alone time, but I call foul on a bit where a guy got a girl's phone number for ostensibly professional reasons and looked all over for a pen to write it down. Does anyone do that anymore? You don't just put it right into your phone?
    • I really, really like Lights Out -- the writing is great and Reg E. Cathey puts on an acting clinic -- but the boxing action in tonight's episode was super fake. Way too many clean head shots; the ref would have stopped the fight if anyone left themselves that undefended for that long. The action especially looked fake after the beautifully-shot action in The Fighter.
    • Indeed, saw The Fighter, the eighth of the Best Picture nominees that I've seen. Pretty good movie, though far from great. There are a few very weak moments here and there, though, like many sports movies, the great ending helps you the remember the movie fondly. I think I'd find it a pretty average movie without Christian Bale's tour de force performance as a crack-addled brother lying to himself and his family about his addiction and the toll it has taken on his life. He's a shoo-in for the Oscar. I also really, really liked Amy Adams as the tough girlfriend who helps Mark Wahlberg start to get his act together. Who I didn't like? Melissa Leo, who has gotten such great press and the Oscar nomination. I didn't like her accent and she seemed to be a caricature that didn't really add anything to the movie.
    • All eight of the Best Picture nominees that I've seen have been at least very good. I'd probably rank them right now as: 8) The Kids Are All Right; 7) Winter's Bone; 6) The Fighter; 5) Inception (saw it a second time recently and it didn't hold up as well); 4) True Grit (now convinced Hailee Steinfeld needs to win Best Supporting Actress); 3) The Social Network (plan on seeing it again very soon); 2) Toy Story 3; 1)The King's Speech. It's not close, by the way. The King's Speech is way, way, way, way, way, way, etc. better than everything else.
  • Random Webpage:
    • And I mean random. It's inexplicable, but I laughed out loud. First go all the way down the page and click to play the theme song. Then, enjoy "Selleck Waterfall Sandwich".

No comments: