Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This Post Offends Me

  • The Monologue:
    • I'm receiving word this evening that Wade Phillips was fired as coach of his Madden franchise quickly into his unemployment when his team quit on him after an 0-3 start.
    • From this article: "Duncan has said the constitutional amendment was not intended as an attack on Muslims but an effort to prevent activist judges from relying on international law or Islamic law when ruling on legal cases." In order to be fair to Muslims, the amendment will be revised so that Oklahoma courts can also not rely on the Code of Hammurabi or the Art of War. Bible? Still okay. Love how every right-wing crazy in the country knows the phrase, "Sharia Law." Obama's bringing it to the country, don't you know.
    • I'm sure this is true of all extremes, but I'm going to pick on my own ilk here. The difference between liberal and too liberal is when you start taking things so seriously that you can't laugh or use certain things as satire because of political correctness. Just because one makes a joke does not mean they don't care. If anything, said joke can be used to shine a light on the injustice at which the joke itself is prodding (see: Beavis and Butthead and others). This isn't a rant based on anything that happened to me, just based on observation.
  • Random Pop Culture:
    • When did Jon Miller and Joe Morgan become worthy of being fired? And how did they get booted from ESPN before any of the approximate 90% of their workforce who has been involved in sexual harassment claims?
    • Finally caught the pilot episode of The Walking Dead. Wow. There is some ridiculously good TV being made right now.
    • I meant to do some midseason NFL rankings at some point, but everyone knows where the league stands. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England, and the Jets, are the top four. Everyone else is fairly far behind. The Ravens are probably the best, as Pittsburgh has some questions about their line and secondary, New England has questions about their big play ability, and the Jets are looking like they could go into a free fall at any moment. I don't believe in the Giants as being elite. Going on a roll against Carolina, Chicago, Houston, Seattle, and Dallas? Eh.
  • Random Music Video:
    • This song entered the UK pop charts on this date in 1969.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duncan also said, "It thwarts the will of the people." The will of the people was also pro-slavery, once. Sometimes the people are wrong.

I hadn't heard that Miller and Morgan had been fired. They are the only duo that I consistently enjoyed on any network, and I seriously doubt that ESPN has anyone better to take up the reins.

I'm very curious about The Walking Dead, but I haven't read the comic yet...two of my absolute favorite comics on the stands right now ("Scalped" and "Chew") are currently in some stage of the process to become tv shows, so I'm glad The Walking Dead is a hit- it bodes well for the other series' chances to make it to air.

The Giants are good, but I still think that if the Packers can put it together (and get healthy) they might be the best team in the NFC. The Falcons and Eagles are good, but not quite as good. Quick, name another good NFC team to round out the top five- anyone, anyone? Bueller? I agree with your assessment of the AFC. The Ravens are the most complete team. If only they could do something about Fabian Washington...

-Tom

Josh said...

I'm clueless on the Miller/Morgan thing. I know some people didn't like Morgan, but Miller is undoubtedly better than anyone besides Vin Scully. I have no clue who they'd get that would be anywhere close.

The Saints look like they may be able to get going, but I do like the Packers more than anyone else. Eli makes too many mistakes.