Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tuesday

  • The Monologue:
    • Lisa Loeb, one-hit wonder, had her first child. She's going to try really hard to have a second, but nobody will be interested.
    • Sheila Dixon, soon to be former mayor of Baltimore, was found guilty of embezzlement for taking gift cards given to the city. It's a total frame job, though. It was all about Commissioner Burrell cooking the stats.
    • Who cares about this story? Really, like Cheney would have any shot. It's all about the title, "Cheney beats back 2012 efforts." If one did not know better, one might think it was about his plan to end the world.
  • Random Pop Culture:
    • When I was at a major Jewish conference downtown -- the one where I saw Netanyahu -- a few weeks ago, Fred Phelps' people were down there protesting. Now, his daughter is on Twitter and I'm enthralled. Those folks are so crazy with the "God Hates Fags" and "God Hates Jews" stuff that they've achieved irony status. They've succeeded in being funnier than any shock comedian could hope to be. Yes, it's scary that they actually believe it, but there are so few of them that I don't feel so bad.
    • Now that I'm done with Under The Dome, Stephen King's latest book (it's very good and unabashedly a not-at-all-veiled metaphor about how horrible Bush was), I'm looking for something to read. Any suggestions?
  • Coming Soon:
    • With the end of the year quickly approaching, I'll be working on my usual best-of lists. However, we have an added bonus with this being the end of a decade, so I'll throw some of that together as well. Let me know if you have any ideas or want to participate.

No comments: